This is a flash object

Council & Services

Quick Links

Shire Snippets
To subscribe to the 'Shire Snippets' newsletter please enter your email address in the box below.

Manage your subscription

Pet Registrations

Pet Registrations

The NSW Government recently introduced legislation called the Companion Animals Act 1998. It introduced lifetime registration and microchip identification requirements for cats & dogs.

What You Need To Do

Any cats & dogs that are sold or given away from 1 July 1999, must be microchipped and lifetime registered. Existing cats and dogs must also be microchipped and lifetime registered.
Farm working dogs and greyhounds are exempt.


You can get your pet microchipped at your local Vet, or any animal welfare organisation.
Just because your pet is microchipped does not mean that it is registered.

You will then receive a pink Lifetime Identification form, which then needs to be taken to Council.

Lifetime Registraion can be completed at the Corowa Council Office, Mulwala Library, Howlong Community Resource Centre and also online (see below).

Lifetime Registration, Change of Owner/Details and Permanent Identification forms can also be download from the Department of Local Government's website by Clicking Here 

You will need to bring into the Council your Lifetime Identification form, proof of desexing form from your Vet and any other documents that entitle you to a discount.

Once your dog has been microchipped you then must pay for it's lifetime registration at one of Council's offices. The fees are:

  • Desexed cat or dog - $51.00
  • Standard (undesexed) cat or dog - $188.00
  • Standard cat or dog owned by a registered breeder - $51.00
  • Assistance animal - Free
  • Desexed cat or dog owned by a pensioner - $20.00

If you have lost your cat or dog please contact council. 

Contact Details
Corowa Shire Council
Ph: (02) 6033 8999
Fax: (02) 6033 3317

Did you find this information helpful?
Not Helpful   Very Helpful

How can this information be improved?